Sunday, November 21, 2010

NEW FISH! Sunday, November 21, 2010

Planted my new plants (silk leaves, plastic stalk). Created a mini forest in the back right corner by grouping all the tall plants together. Placed the smaller plant in the front left hand side.

Went to fish store. Water passed all tests! Time to pick some fish. Store dude said based on tank size I should only add four at a time and stop at 18 fish total. Disappointing as I was hoping to add an entire shoal of 7 neons at once.

Was considering phantom black tetras after seeing some nice ones at Petco and reading some nice reviews but didn't see any at store. Considered gold dust mollys before getting to the store but saw some less than favorable reviews. The store didn't seem to have many of the fish species I was interested in and not many fish in the species they had. After talking to the dude about plecos he showed me some cory cats that I liked. In the end I selected a cory and three neons.

At home I first fed the existing 6 serpaes. Then I acclimated the bags of fish to our water. I added a cup of water to each bag after letting them sit for 20 minutes. I also turned off the tank light to get everyone as calm as possible. After more time I tried to remove the cory from the bag with my net. He wasn't interested and I didn't have enough room to manuver him into the net. I was worried about hurting him by fighting so I poured the bag of water through the net into my fish bucket. The net caught the cory and I quickly moved him to the tank. I gave the neons another cup our two. When they were ready I was able to move all three to the water at once. I was happy to see the neons quickly tagging along behind the serpaes. The cory quickly found a quit spot deep in the "forest".

Everyone seemed to be fine coexisting together at first but a while later I saw some serpaes chasing neons and maybe the cory as well. I may need another serpae after all.

I'm really happy with where the tank has progressed.

pH: 7.6
Temp: 76
Fed: 5:00
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment